Slacklining has become a popular hobby all over the world. Gibbon Slacklines, the world’s biggest slackline manufacturer, had a tool on their website that helped users to find nice spots for slacklining. Unfortunatelly it was not very user-friendly and not optimized for mobile devices – a crucial feature for an outdoor sport. In collaboration with the company, I set out to design an app for slackliners.
To establish a solid user-centered foundation for the app, I spent quite some time doing research. This included desk research, several face-to-face interviews, a global online survey with over 420 slackliners and lots of slacklining myself (all in the name of science, of course). I learned that slacklining is a very social sport and therefore shifted the focus of the app to not only enable users to find slackline spots but also meet each other in real life.
Based on the user research, I defined the feature set of the app and developed the information architecture. I then iteratively refined the concept by doing lots of sketching, wireframing, prototyping and user-testing until the result felt right.
The final result was a functional high-definition prototype of the “Slackhive” Android app. I also described my research, work process, sketches, screen designs etc in an extensive documentation. The idea of an app for slackliners was received with great interest in the global community.
- Type of WorkMaster's Thesis at FH Joanneum
- Timeframe6 Month
- My ResponsibilitesUser Research · Conceptual UX Design · Visual UI Design · Prototyping · Documentation
- ToolsPen and Paper · Balsamiq · Axure · Photoshop